Monday, November 20, 2006

Resident Evil



Need I say more! This is the grand-daddy of them all. All survival horror games need to bow down and show respect to the one who started it all.

My first encounter with Resident Evil happened when I was in the Air Force. A couple of friends and I were headed out for a night on the town. We stopped over someone’s house to pick up another person and while waiting for them, their little brother was playing his Playstation in the living room. Being a gamer myself, I took interest in the game. The graphics and detail were exquisite for the time period; I was still playing Super Nintendo at the time. I remember the scary opera music playing while he navigated his way through the haunted mansion. The doors would creek open slowly into the darkness, all you could hear were footsteps of the character (Jill or Chris) until the next area [loaded…].


It must have been fate, my new roommate on base moves in and has a Playstation! He played games that I really had no interest in, but one day he comes home with Resident Evil. He said a friend let him hold it. I knew this was the game that I wished I had time to play on that previous night. He fiddled around with it a little, but was not really interested in the genre. No one was; it was the first of its kind with a very small group of supporters.

After getting off of work one day I had the opportunity indulge myself in this world of horror. Once I began playing I could not stop. I skipped dinner that night; I went to bed late and was tired as hell for work the next morning. I played it on my lunch break and immediately after work. Hours passed as I mastered the controls and honed my skills of surviving in the game. RE has a unique control system for moving the character. Usually, you just move the controller's directional pad in the way you wanted to go, but on RE to move forward you have to press up on the D-pad after you have turned in the right direction. “I’m low on bullets, I need more bullets!” My mind raced as my frantic and uneasy state was set on beating this game.

The story was so deep; I couldn’t stop talking about the game to my peers. My conversations sparked their interest in the game, which led to Resident Evil parties, where they would gather in my room and watch me play.

Eventually I finally finished the game. I was on a mission to purchase my own Playstation and I knew what the first game was going to be.

Currently, I own all the sequels to the Resident Evil series. Number 2 is still my favorite on PS1; the two disc set. But PS2 just got the Nintendo version a couple of months ago.

I think I have a new favorite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home