Monday, November 20, 2006

Gran Turismo



To some people this title is as unfamiliar as real cowboys watching rap artists performing at their country/western bar. To others, this title means the greatest racing game ever to grace video game consoles all over the world. I was always a loyal Need For Speed fan but when I borrowed a copy of my co-workers Gran Turismo A-spec, I was hooked. The game was so real and so detailed. There were over 300 cars you could acquire, plus the tracks you raced on were real racing circuits around the world.

Now that I think about it, I was always fascinated with fast cars, loud engines, and leaving rubber on the asphalt. Every Christmas, I can recall asking for a remote controlled car without the wire. I had to be specific, prior RC cars I received as presents had a wire attached. What is the purpose of having a remote control if you have to get up and follow the thing around? When I was old enough I bought my first real RC car; well it was actually a truck. It was made by Nikko, a popular company known for its RC vehicles. This little pickup truck favored an old Nissan Pathfinder (late 80’s model) but it was a red pickup truck, approximately the size of a house-cat, fast as hell. As a matter of fact, it did have a high and low speed setting. Nine point six volts (9.6V) of pure muscle and it was all mine. If I could find this toy today I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I guess this takes me back to a more simple time in my life, where life was less complicated and more fun. Summers back home were fun because, all I had to do was wake up, do my chores, and then go outside and play. If I could get that same happy feeling back as an adult I would stay in the moment forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home